Waxing is one of the most common ways to remove unwanted hair. Waxing is where you take wax that is usually hypoallergenic, and then you apply it to the skin. Before it hardens a special type of paper is put over it, and once it is hardened it is removed using this paper. This takes the hairs with it. It is usually applied extremely carefully, so that only the hairs that you want removed actually are. Usually a bright light will be turned on so that the hairs can be seen more clearly, and when getting eyebrow waxing done it is best to try and relax.
There are many benefits to waxing versus other forms of hair removal. It is an effective method to remove large amounts of hair at one time. It is a long-lasting method, as hair in waxed areas will not grow back for two to eight weeks. When hair is shaved or removed by depilatory cream, the hair is removed at the surface rather than the hair root. Within a few days, the hair can reappear back at the surface. With these methods, hair tends to grow back in a rough stubble. Areas that are repeatedly waxed over long periods of time often exhibit regrowth that is softer.
Waxing is a form of semi-permanent hair removal which removes the hair from the root. New hair will not grow back in the previously waxed area for four to six weeks, although some people will start to see regrowth in only a week due to some of their hair being on a different growth cycle. Almost any area of the body can be waxed, including eyebrows, face, pubic area (called bikini or Brazilian waxing), legs, arms, back, abdomen, knuckles and feet. There are many types of waxing suitable for removing unwanted hair.
Soft wax is spread thinly over the skin. A cloth or paper strip is applied and pressed firmly, adhering the strip to the wax and the wax to the skin. The strip is then quickly ripped against the direction of hair growth, as parallel as possible to the skin to avoid trauma to the skin. This removes the wax along with the hair.
Hard wax is applied somewhat thickly and with no cloth or paper strips. The wax then hardens when it cools, thus allowing the easy removal by a therapist without the aid of cloths. This waxing method is very beneficial to people who have sensitive skin. Hard wax does not adhere to the skin as much as strip wax does, thus making it a good option for sensitive skin as finer hairs are more easily removed because the hard wax encapsulates the hair as it hardens. The strip-less waxing method can also be less painful.
Why is waxing better than threading?
- Threading doesn’t require a license, meaning you may not have a professional helping you with the hair removal process.
- When threading is done incorrectly the hairs will not be removed, and instead the hairs will break. This will cause hair regrowth to show up much more quickly.
- You can’t thread as soon as the hair comes back. Instead, hair growth is required for threading. You’ll need a sixteenth of an inch of hair growth before the thread can wrap around the hair, meaning you do have to wait until it is noticeable to get your eyebrows done again.
- Threading is only good for eyebrows. You can’t use threading on your legs or anywhere else on your body.
- There is some discomfort when it comes to threading, and it is often compared to the discomfort that comes from tweezing, even if it is quicker.
- Threading can hurt more than waxing because the hairs are pulled out much slower. This is one of the main reasons that waxing is still considered to be a much more popular way of unwanted hair removal.
- Waxing can be used on other parts of your body instead of just your eyebrows. This is one of the main differences when it comes to waxes versus threading.
- Your skin won’t be pinched during a waxing process, and this is because there is nothing that can pinch your skin.
- Your eyes won’t water as much, and you won’t sneeze as much when you’re dealing with waxing instead of threading.
- Waxing is considerably less expensive than threading, which is why most people stick to waxing.
Neither eyebrow threading nor waxing is truly better than the other because eyebrow waxing for many will not cause problems. Instead, you’ll find that most people can wax their eyebrows with little to no negative side effects.